Sunday 6 March 2016

Decapod/ THIS MOVEMENT: Beginning



Hello. My name is Hamish MacPherson and my Decapod residency at AirSpace began this weekend.

I'm a London-based choreographer who makes performances, installations, workshops, games, writings, images and other things. My work often deals with dance and choreography as technologies for being and thinking together with other people. I'm interested in revealing the embodied aspects of systems like politics and philosophy that might otherwise appear abstract or neutral.








I'll be up three of four days a week throughout March to use the gallery as a base for my practical research project THIS MOVEMENT, working towards finalising a brand new piece of work to be shown at a later date.

My desk is at the back of the gallery.


THIS MOVEMENT is how we use our bodies to make politics. 


It's not affiliated with a political party or even big P politics in general. 


It's more about how we're using our bodies to be recognised, to organise (or disorganise) ourselves or to make change.


I think it's happening all the time: protests, demonstrations, parades, occupations, sit ins, walk outs, illegal raves, clubbing, rambling, folk dancing, playing, running, BDSM. We can think of all these things as being political.

Former Magistrates Court occupied by protesters in Stoke-on-Trent 2014. 
Photo: scfcbushy

The core of what I'd like to do is interview people in and around Stoke who are or have been involved in this kinds of bodily politics. It only takes a little bit of internet searching to find there has been lots of this taking place.

Stoke-on-Trent demonstration and 'die-in'
Stoke-on-Trent demonstration and 'die-in' 2003
Photo: Thomas J

During my residency at AirSpace, I want to think about some of these ideas in the particular context of Stoke on Trent. A month is not long at all but when I'm here I'll be using a range of research methods including, interviewing local people, running, swimming, dancing, practicing yoga, taking photos, making GIFs, blogging, facilitating some post apocalyptic dance training and setting up a public reference library in the gallery.

Abbots Bromley Horn Dance

On the latter, please feel free to come into the gallery to read the books on the shelf. I'd like them to be a resource for other people interested in dance and politics while I'm here.


If you would like to find out more, be interviewed or be involved in some other way you can visit me in the gallery, leave a note on my desk or email me at info.thismovement@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment